Introduction: Why Financial Institutions Hope to Keep You Blind
Chapter 1: A System of Misconception
- How stock brokerage firms deceive us
- Our unquestioned belief of Wall Street propaganda
- Your core financial beliefs may betray you
- Over focusing on retirement is detrimental to your wealth
- Is your advisor unwittingly spreading misinformation?
- Does traditional financial advice benefit you or Wall Street?
Chapter 2: Ethics (or the Lack Thereof)
- The history of corrupt mutual fund sales practices
- Influences that perpetuate corrupt financial advice
- Keeping investments inaccessible benefits firms
- The corrupt practice of pushing proprietary investments
- The corruption of pay-to-play investments
Chapter 3: The Tax-Deferral Deception:
- Corrupting motives that affect how your advisor gets paid
- Misrepresenting the true value of your account
- How little of your investment account belongs to you
- Are you paying fees on government assets?
- Will you truly fall into a lower tax bracket at retirement?
- Your retirement depends on the future whims of government taxation
Chapter 4: The Enemies of Building Wealth
- Disastrous bond returns due to raising interest rates
- Lies about the stock market’s true returns
- High market volatility can destroy your retirement income
- Disastrous results of inflation are returning
- The false promise of tax-deferred saving for retirement
Chapter 5: The Coming Tax Bomb
- The forgotten history of much higher tax rates
- Sobering numbers regarding the U.S. budget deficit
- The out-of-control national debt is looming
- Spending at record rates will cause tax increases
Chapter 6: The Bogus Math of Tax Deferral
- Focus on account size diverts attention from spendability
- 401(k)s replace more expensive pension plans
- How little of your retirement account belongs to you
- Roth vs. traditional IRA accounts
- The marginal benefits of tax-deferred retirement
- Why does Wall Street love tax-deferred plans? (Hint: huge fees)
Chapter 7: Other Tax Advantaged Options
- Do your investments have tax treatment diversification?
- Are your investments protected from inflation?
- Will you pass your tax burden onto your heirs?
- Structure retirement cash flow to eliminate taxes
- How can you delay taxes, then pay at a lower long-term capital gains rate?
Chapter 8: The Holy Grail for Investment
- The perfect investment checklist
- Can you invest like an institution?
- Growth that may exceed stock market returns
- How to eliminate volatility
- Receive investment interest on money already spent
- In a down market, zero is your hero
Chapter 9: The Naysayers and Bad Press
- Debunk the myths that fuel the financial blind side
- Fees vs. commissions: the real scoop
- Is your advisor deceiving you or simply misinformed?
- Alternative investments strategies under attack
- The ridiculous logic and false comparisons used to lock your money into investments that benefit the providers
Chapter 10: Time for Tequila!
- The fine print the advisors would prefer you not know
- Advisors distract you with irrelevant details
- 14 questions you need to ask your advisor
- How financial salespeople give you what you mistakenly think you need, and perpetuate the financial blind side.
Chapter 11: The Pension Election Dilemma
- Employers are reducing their pension obligations
- Better alternatives for providing for your spouse and heirs
- Pension elections with positive-sounding names, confuse you into reducing your income
Chapter 12: Are all Annuities Scams?
- The fiction behind income guarantees
- Why your withdraw/income account is not real money
- Income guarantees lock in today’s low interest rates
- What’s the real return of annuities?
- Figures don’t lie but annuities salespeople sure like to confuse buyer
Chapter 13: What the Heck is a MEC?
- Why advisors avoid Modified Endowment Contracts
- MECs win over annuities
- MECs are not fully understood by financial salespeople
- Don’t leave a tax burden to your heirs
- The tax benefits and higher returns of MECs
Chapter 14: 529 Plans Can Increase College Cost
- Why financial institutions push 529 plans for college
- Restructure your savings to reduce tuition cost
- Advisors are not trained to structure finances for college
Chapter 15: The Pathetic Qualifications of Some Advisors
- What’s in an advisor’s title?
- Most financial titles are completely unregulated
- The multiple types of advisor licenses
- How to verify your advisor’s qualification
- Why your financial advisor may have little education in finance, planning or investments
Conclusion: The Negative Effect of Misinformation
- Two families cope with the real world of family finance through a lifespan